Whether we like it or not, sooner or later we are all going to show signs of aging. Luckily there is a wide variety of options when it comes to treating aging skin. This vast range of treatment options can make your choice a bit more difficult, but we will talk today about the ways we can stop the aging process in a healthy way with regenerative skin care!
First, let’s identify some of the main factors that cause us to age or speed up the aging process. There are 2 categories of aging: intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic aging is when we age from internal factors such as the breakdown of MMP’s that contributes to about 10% of aging. Extrinsic aging is when we age from external factors and makes up the remaining 90% of the aging process. Examples of extrinsic aging include sun exposure, smoking, pollution, free radicals, diet, and stress – just to name the main few. When we talk about treating aging skin with regenerative skin care, we will be focusing on these hefty extrinsic factors.
The biggest aging factor comes from that big ball of sunshine we all love known as the sun. UV rays are emitted from the sun into our atmosphere and accepted into our bodies as free radicals and inflammation as well as altering the structure and production of our DNA. Antioxidants come into play here to fight off these free radicals and sooth inflammation in the skin. Antioxidants are effective internally as well as externally. The most effective way to block UV rays from damaging the skin however, is by blocking them before our bodies internalize them with a good SPF. If we do not block these rays from turning into free radicals, they will over time create a chain reaction which damages the proteins in our skin resulting in damaging the DNA or causing cell death. It seems pretty easy that SPF can protect about 80% of the extrinsic damage done to our skin causing aging, yet sun exposure and tanning beds seem to be the norm over seeking our shade and applying sunscreen to our bodies. If you could prevent 80% of aging with just ONE simple product every day, would you?
There are a few ways we can help treat or help reverse damage done to the skin by extrinsic factors as well as preventing aging as a whole, of those which can be found in regenerative skin care. The 2 main categories we will discuss are peptides and stem cells, both are 100% natural and non-active for all skin types!
Indie Lee Stem Cell .34 fl oz $52 / Glymed Intense Peptide 1.0 fl oz $89
Peptides are simply chains of amino acids found naturally in the body. Amino acids are the essential building blocks for our skin cells that turn into proteins that are necessary for healthy cell function. When we introduce and apply these building blocks to the skin, our cell’s reaction is to break down our current cells and proteins and start building more healthy cells in their place. These speeds up our current cell cycle without causing any damage to our skin whatsoever!
Stem Cells help protect our skins own stem cells by protecting them and encouraging new healthy cells. Stem cells achieve this by protecting what’s called our mother cell. When our cells undergo mitosis, there is a mother cell (the program cell) and a daughter cell (the duplicate cell) which make up the DNA of all our cells. When we protect the mother cell from damage and aging, we protect the new cell growth by keeping our skin youthful and healthy!
Having a combination of SPF, peptides, and stem cells in your daily skin care routine is a sure-fire way to block, prevent, and protect the skin from the dreaded aging process in a natural way!